Sunday, July 11, 2010

a week from today

so in my last post i mentioned our cross country trip.. we're leaving a week from today! a while back we came up with our route out there, but the route home is tba. obviously, driving across the country is going to be unpredictable. we don't have a set itinerary, but a general route with major points of interest plotted out. whatever happens in between those points will set the tone for the rest of the trip, depending on time and how we're feeling. this is what it's looking like so far:

we're planning on taking a lot of back roads rather than interstates, and roaming around small, middle-of-nowhere towns. that being said, if anyone has any recommendations, send them my way! we'll be camping mostly, and hitting up a lot of national parks/natural monuments (badlands, devil's tower, yellowstone, olympic national park, hoh rainforest, redwood national park.. the rest depend on our route home).

the flannel-shirt-wearing, 13 year old meghan (that is still deep down in there somewhere) is waaayyy excited for seattle. it was like my middle school mecca. my bedroom walls were literally wallpapered with torn out magazine pages of eddie and kurt. in my head i was angela chase, waiting for my jordan catalano. i cried when my mom replaced my held-together-by-a-thread converse with new ones. in planning this trip, i've been doing a lot of reminiscing. you can never watch singles too many times.

oh, and we're also planning on going to astoria, OR and north bend, WA, where goonies and twin peaks were filmed (respectively), which is both nerdy and cool all at the same time.

and on that note.. the anthem of my early teenage years, sung by the man i had convinced myself i would one day marry:

how cute was he in 1992? awe. now, if you'll excuse me, i have some my so called life to catch up on. for the 14th time.

2 comments:

  1. i hear there are a lot of cool people in austin, tx...

    ReplyDelete
  2. i did the route 66 way in 04 and it was super fun. highly recommended!

    ReplyDelete